Friday, February 21, 2014

Too Many Toys!



I love David Shannon's books. They are heartfelt and hilarious. The illustrations are both fun and a relief from all the pastel "babyish" books. This book was cute, but "No David" remains my favorite. It always leaves me with a smile. I have a David of my own and the universality of Shannon's characters strike a cord. Too Many Toys is how every parent feels when they look at the thousands of broken pieces, toys bubbling out of couch cushions, invading every bit of space so it feels like they are secretly mating and multiplying. It does get overwhelming. Shannon is not preachy, he's a slice of life and realistic. The ending was appropriate- it's a reminder that material things don't make us happy or fill a void- only we can do that for ourselves.

Happy Reading!
Carole P. Roman

No comments:

Post a Comment