Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The ink may fade, but never the message.




For graduation from college back in 1975, my parent's bought me a stunning sterling silver fountain pen engraved with the date and my initials. It remains one of my favorite possessions and sits on my desk where I can see it every day. It's been through every milestone in my life. I used it to sign my marriage license, addressing the envelopes announcing the birth of my children and grandchildren. It's sleek and elegant and reminds me of another time, when we actually made time and didn't rush- we couldn't even if we tried. You have to write slowly, thoughtfully. You have to give the ink a chance to dry. My mother loved the written word, so it was a fitting gift from her. She used one her entire life and now when I pull out a postcard or a note from her and see her graceful hand, her cherished letters, I enjoy both her words and the pen that shaped it. The ink may fade, but never the message. 

Carole P. Roman

No comments:

Post a Comment